Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A new project

Still crazy busy at school, with minimal time for knitting these days. Here's what I've been up to.

Swatching for dh's birthday sweater. He's definitely broadening his wardrobe horizons lately. He bought himself (with a little encouragement) a gorgeous blue cabled wool sweater at Winners a few months back, and has fallen in love with it. Previously, he would have called cables too "busy". So imagine my delight when, after pulling out several dozen patterns for him to peruse, he decided on this one. Now, the gauge isn't working so well in the yarn that he has taken a liking to:

The colour is actually called Charcoal, but it's not grey at all. The photo of the skein is closer to the real thing, I'd say somewhere between chestnut brown and olive green. The weight/yardage for this worsted wool pretty close to the Classic Elite Skye Tweed that the pattern recommends, but it seems to be knitting up much finer. But hubby likes this yarn, and as David pointed out in a Knitty article that amused me to no end, men are fickle creatures to knit for. So if he really likes the yarn, and approves of the pattern, I think there's a far better of chance of the sweater that I toil over being worn and loved in the future. So I think my plan of attack is to keep the yarn and the lovely cables and re-work the pattern, with the help of my trusty software, to make it work with the gague that I am getting on 4.5 mm needles. And his birthday is February 8th, so I think I need to get moving on this!

I have some FO pictures, which I will hopefully get posted soon. In the meantime, dh and Molly both say to thank you for all of the compliments. They are both very flattered.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Glenna C said...

That is one heck of a nice sweater. I am so jealous of your swatching, too, I have been trying to keep my start-itis at bay until I get one of my eleventy million things off the needles!

8:00 a.m.  
Blogger Marianne said...

What a beautiful choice for a sweater, and the colour in the swatch is beautiful. Now why would they call that 'Charcoal'?

8:09 a.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

Marianne, it's actually the same yarn in both photos, but it came out quite a bit browner in the swatch shot. All the same, it is definitely not charcoal!

Glenna, I have far too many projects in the works myself. But ths one has a deadline, so I've decided to drop most of the other stuff to get going on it now. I'm so glad he chose this sweater though. I pictured myself with miles of grey stockinette, or ribbing at the very least. But he wants me to knit cables! :)

12:11 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home