Hedgehog Knits

Adventures in knitting from the eastern edge of Canada.

Monday, January 08, 2007

Catching up

I think I will have enough blog fodder for quite some time to come. There was lots of knitting over the holidays. Sadly, there were some gifts that I forgot to photograph. Perhaps I can get their new owners to send me photos - we'll see. This is the second pair of gloves based on my own cable pattern, gifted to my father-in-law:
Cable gloves in Briggs and Little Tuffy, original pattern

I have written up the pattern for these, and plan to post it soon. I have to do one more pair of these, so I will use that opportunity to test-knit it. I'm a little nervous about putting it out there full of mistakes (it's the first time I've written a pattern that I intend for other people to be able to follow.) Soon. I promise.

These are the Crooked Cable socks that I was working furiously on before I left for home. I finished them a couple of days before Christmas.

Crooked Cable Socks, pattern by Sockbug, in Lang Jawoll. Knit on 2 circulars, size 2.5 mm.

I really like this pattern and will definitely knit it again - maybe for myself. I think that I would add another half or full pattern repeat to the leg to make them longer. I had lots of yardage to spare. As for the yarn, I like the reinforcing spool that comes with it, but I was unimpressed that A) the colour bled a bit, even just soaking them in cold water for blocking, so care will have to be taken to not dye all the laundry pink, and B) they were looking kind of fuzzy and old after only a couple of washes and wearings. This is a fairly expensive sock yarn by my standards. I have to say that I am more impressed with the sturdiness and ease of care with less expensive Regia sock yarns. I won't be buying this one again.

And finally, I don't think I posted these before, but I knit them back in October. This toque and wristies I made for my younger brother. He's a bass player and sound technician, so I thought they would come in handy for those chilly outdoor gigs where he needs full use of his fingers. I think he really likes them.



Touque: Cable Knit Hat, pattern by Headhuggers, altered to add the ribbed brim.
Wristies: pattern by Joelle Hoverson available free on the Canadian Living website
Yarn: elann.com Peruvian Sierra Aran, colour Chestnut.

I think that's it for the gift shots that I have. But I've got lots of other stuff in reserve. It's time that I'm short on! More to come.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Glenna C said...

Those are some nice purple socks! And I love the cabled wrist-warmers, too. You really have been knitting up a storm.

I hope your holidays were awesome. Why must it be January already?

11:09 p.m.  
Blogger Marianne said...

Love those socks, so pretty! and the gloves, looking forward to the pattern, and the cabled hat (swoon) and wrist-warmers! My secondborn son has requested some.....he'd really like those cables..hmmmmmm.

9:33 a.m.  
Blogger Kelly said...

Hi to you both!

Thank for the comments on the socks. I really liked the crooked cable pattern. It kind of has the scalloped elements of the Pomatomus pattern, without the scariness. The many tales of woe about Pomatomuses (Pomatomi?) scared me off of that pattern! Glenna, I bow in awe of you :)

Marianne, the wristwarmer pattern is a really quick knit, with minmal yarn. However, if you follow the link, you'll see that there are seperate men's and women's patterns. I used the men's sizing, but the women's pattern (the men's in just plain ribbing).

9:47 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home